Goals ... The 2015 Edition

So I kind of suck at having a blog.  I couldn't bear to look at the date of my last entry but I know it's a pathetically long time ago.  It's time to try and get back to it!

The first thing I have to say is Thank Freaking God 2014 is over.  I most definitely had my fair share of shit hitting the fan and I am ready for that to stop.  First step in doing that?  Setting goals and planning for 2015.

I had a lot of fun looking back at my goals for 2014, especially because I did a really good job with them.  Makes me even more excited for this year!

Lets look at where I was one year ago (well, March 2014)

Fitness Goals
Goal #1 - Team CrossFit competition - - COMPLETED February 8, 2014
Goal #2 - Powerlifting competition - - COMPLETED two, May & Dec 2014

Goal #3 - Individual CrossFit competition - - COMPLETED June 2014
Goal #4 - Olympic Weightlifting competition - - NOT Completed for many reasons, I made a conscious decision to not pursue this going forward.

Goal #5 - Attend a seminar for Powerlifting or Oly Lifting - (sort of) COMPLETED Dec 2014, I attended a local squat and clean seminar due to not having funding to go elsewhere.
Goal #6 - Strongman competition - - this is VERY tentative.  NOT Completed, will not be pursuing but I have made a lot of good friends in this sport I love watching!
Goal #7 - Help a friend complete their first 5K.  NOT Completed, I didn't run this year, ugh
Goal #8 -  Register for and complete the CrossFit Games Open Workout - - COMPLETED

Mental Health Goals
Goal #1 - Start a blog - - COMPLETED
Goal #2 - Go on a warm weather vacation / escape winter - - COMPLETED
Goal #3 - Go somewhere fabulous for my birthday in July.  - - Once again, this didn't happen. FAIL.
Goal #4 - Celebrate a friends birthday in Vegas in September. - - She cancelled the trip :(
Goal #5 - Meditation - - The program I started SUCKED, carrying this over to 2015 with the help of a friend who meditates!
Goal #6 - Yoga, go back to it! - - FAILED pretty damn bad.  I am back at it though in 2015!
Goal #7 -  Make a conscious effort to remember what makes me smile, what and who I am grateful for every day - - I think this went pretty well :)


I would be lying if I didn't say I forgot about some of those goals.  I really was a go getter last year, damn.
There are a few of these that I will be carrying over into 2015 either due to not completing or just the simple fact that I enjoyed myself!

So here goes ... My 2015 goals.

Weight/Gym Goals - knowing me I will add to this but this is a start
GOAL #1 - Deadlift 400 lbs
GOAL #2 - Clean 200 lbs 
GOAL #3 - Do REAL chest to bar pull ups (no switch grip or chin up grip)
GOAL #4 - Snatch 125 lbs
GOAL #5 -  Back squat 275 lbs
GOAL #6 -  Bench 150 lbs
GOAL #7 - String together toes to bar
GOAL #8 - Front Squat 250 lbs

Fitness / Health Goals
GOAL #1 - Powerlifting Meets: Minnesota Open (Feb 21), Twin Ports Raw (May 30), Twin Cities Open (TBD), Senior State Open (TBD)
GOAL #2 - Train (with) a fellow lady at my gym for a meet, help her get into powerlifting
GOAL #3 - Continue my coaching education (local teaching, seminars, etc.)
GOAL #4 - COOK MORE and MORE and MORE (can never try too many recipes)
GOAL #5 -  Do yoga at LEAST 2 times per week
GOAL #6 -  Be a competition mentor / resource for athletes at my gym
GOAL #7 -  Do a minimum of 2 bod pods to check progress
GOAL #8 - Get my body fat % back into the 20s (lower the better) & lose 20 lbs (back to Jan 2014 weight)

Mental Health / Misc. Goals
GOAL #1 - GET A NEW JOB 
GOAL #2 - Schedule a minimum of one "Me Day" each month
GOAL #3 - Say YES more
GOAL #4 - Stress Less
GOAL #5 -  Make a conscious effort to visit friends in different states (multiple times if I can)
GOAL #6 -  Actually start meditating
GOAL #7 - Make more friend dates

This year is going to be just as exciting in the goal area for me, but will have a little more "holy shit" added.  When 2014 started, I made the decision to use the whole year to try out different types of competitions and I did a damn good job getting signed up, traveling, canceling things that weren't realistic.   When around November came, I had a small panic attack because I hadn't decided where I wanted to continue focusing my efforts, and even further didn't think I wanted to keep competing.  I kept that a secret from pretty much everyone in my life.  Until after my last competition on Dec. 6th when I took last place due to a stupid mistake.  I had 2nd place in my reach and I instead got 5th.  If I placed, I would have left that year feeling more accomplished than ever and with a medal at a competition that was showcasing "Minnesota's Strongest of the Strong".  Well, I obviously left angry.  And very confused and conflicted.
What changed my mind?  My Mom.  She was at that meet, her first powerlifting meet and she had a blast!  She talked to me after and told me about things people were saying about me and my lifting and it was all positive and  very inspiring.  I also had a lot of my fellow gym mates there and they all were very supportive and blown away by what I was doing.  Seeing their reactions and hearing that people (other than me) noticed and acknowledged my hard work was enough to change my attitude about competing more.  As I write this I feel very vain, but its true.  I work really fucking hard to meet my own goals, but also want others to see them happen and maybe be inspired by me.  Its also really nice to hear / see people react to a talent I never knew I had, and frankly. lifting heavy things is far more up my alley than doing pull ups and running.  Moral of the story ... stick with my strengths!!

I have talked to a lot of people recently who say goals don't work.  Well, thats bullshit.  You are the reason that goals don't work.  I think resolutions are stupid because they are usually too lofty.  Set goals that are already part of your life or not far off, the more attainable the better.  As you start achieving goals like that, add something bigger, you'll be HOOKED once you start.

I will be done there for today.  I really needed to get those on on paper so I can get to gettin!

Comments

  1. Time to update! I know you've accomplished at least one 2015 goal already...
    P.S. I am possibly game for a bday trip in July. Any interest in hiking on the North Shore?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts