Lessons Learned - Session 1

As my power lifting meet draws nearer (almost at the one week countdown), I have begun some reflection.  How I started, where i'm at now and what's next for me.  Let me tell you, this is a fuck of a lot to think about.

First and foremost, I am realizing just how far I have come yet how much I still have left in the tank.
Also?  What lessons I have learned along this road thus far.


This week I have started compiling my questions, thoughts and ideas that have come up so far in this venture.  I also have started reaching out to my support and coaches to tell them there are things going on in my brain.  Small yet huge steps for me.

So for today, lets look where I'm at.  

Lessons Learned - Session 1


  • I need a concrete plan.  
    • What I mean by this is specific amounts of weeks to train, deloading, rest, testing, etc.  Don't get me wrong.  I have made MASSIVE gains but other things fell by the wayside.
  • I need more planned rest and mobility.
    • I should not be doing CrossFit WODs as many days as strict lifting.  My body is saying fuck you right now.
    • Mobility needs to be upped.  Both before/after WODs and lifting as well as at home.  There also needs to be more epsom salt baths and maybe even work in some massages.  Right now - my thighs are like rocks.  I know that ain't normal.
  • I need to review my diet.
    • Don't get me wrong here, Paleo is great and has been for me since I started.  I have never felt better and just all over feel clean.  BUT, weight training (especially heavy ass weights) needs more than what I am giving my body.  I'm not sure WHAT, but something.
  • Supplements are good.
    • I just (this week) started taking pre-workout and post-workout supplements.  This is stupid.  Yes, I have enough time to test them and make sure they don't have adverse affects on me, but I really should have started at the beginning.  For obvious reasons.
  • I need more lady support.
    • I love my dudes.  Always will.  But I am finding out that lady lifters do have a few more differences than I thought.  They way our bodies react is different than men, the supplements we need/work are different sometimes, the equipment options are sometimes different ... i could go on for days.  I am very lucky to now to have gained a new peer group of lady lifters across North America.  
  • I need to not be so hard on myself.  Be more flexible.
    • For the most part, the amount of days I have spent training did not drive me too crazy thank god.  But I definitely could have done better.  I could have gotten up and worked out before work a few days.  I could have gone after work instead of "skipping that day" ... I thought my plan for the week was going to work but ya know, life gets in the way, and I seem to forget that a lot.
  • I need to decide what's next for me
    • Honestly?  I am worn the fuck out.  I still enjoy every minute of what I do but I am to the point where my body and mind are giving me the big old middle finger and that is not good.  So, I am now going to be giving some serious thought into where I go next.  Do I focus on power lifting?  Do I focus on Oly Lifting?  Do I focus on CrossFit/metcons?  I love all of them, thats why this is so hard BUT it is not realistic to continue to train for one while doing the others.  No ones body can take that.  

The hardest part of all of this?  Deciding what's next.  
I can recover my body (that is what I am doing currently with my ass on my couch) and can get extra sleep but no one can make a decision for me of what I do with my body and life.

I am so thankful I have coaches who are not afraid of being honest with me. I tell my coach that I am wrestling with inner demons - He guesses whats on my mind (think he knows me a little?!) and tells me he can't decide for me.  Damn him.

Unfortunately I have a while until I can make any REAL decisions which is unfortunate.
I need to finish a couple of competitions to actually see what I enjoy.  Who knows, i might absolutely HATE power lifting after next weekend (I doubt it but its possible).  I also need to experiment with my diet.  I am starting fresh on either June 1 or July 1 (TBD) and attempting to incorporate different foods.  First ideas are oats and rice - I am going to stay more toward gluten free simply because regular flour and all of that shit makes me feel like crap and I don't want that.  I think those are both good starts.

Also?  I am going to read a couple of books that were recommended to me as well as blogs and keeping in touch with my strong lady peers and learning from them more and more which I know they have a lot to teach me.


The best thing about all of this?
No matter how exhausted I am today, how badly my body hurts, I think realizing there are lessons like these I need to learn is the best first step in the right direction.

Comments

  1. So excited for your first meet Tracy! Also, if you're able to identify the areas you need help with, the areas you excel at, and areas you have questions about - you're doing WAY better than about 90% of others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! I'm so glad I have the support I do, makes all of these changes so much easier!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts