Shit is about to get real

Well, it hit me like a ton of bricks upon my return from vacation.  I need to get my ass in gear and train.  I hit both WOD's and Lifting H-A-R-D this weekend, which included finishing the 2014 CrossFit open workouts (ouch).

And now, it's down to business.

I am finalizing a "real" training schedule that will include prep for both my Powerlifting meet AND my next CrossFit competition.  All of this is going to kick my ass and be incredibly painful.  My mental preparedness is going to have to just catch up, I don't have time to wait or get anxiety.

What am I excited about? 

  • Food: I am cooking and planning meals again.  Bigger and fuller breakfasts, lighter lunches, well rounded dinners and lots of homemade snacks.  It's almost farmers market time too - YIPPEE!
  • TwinTown CrossFit (my box): I have the freaking BEST support system here.  
  • The training: how can I not be?
  • The competitions: duh.
What's the breakdown?
  • Powerlifting - 2 days a week
    • I am following a simple Russian progression built on 5x5s and 5x4s.  Make em heavy, make em count and sprinkle in some light days so I don't kill myself, that's how I like to think of it.
  • WOD's - 2 days a week (regular programmed classes)
  • Skill work / Endurance / Misc - 1 day a week (minimum)
  • Yoga - 1 day a week
  • Mobility / Stretching - all.the.time.
How the hell am I going to get all of this done?
  • There will be "Two a Days" - example, Sundays will be skill and lifting both
  • Schedule rest days - this is something I suck at
  • SLEEP - another thing I suck at
  • Eat - see above
  • Take advantage of opportunities given - like new open gym times at TTCF (YAY!)
  • Listen to my coaches - they know more than I do
  • Don't be stupid - simple

Today I am on a "forced" rest day.  I am waddling like a penguin because I jumped back in too fast and did too many leg days in a row (yes I love leg day, but this was excessive). The rest of the week I am going to wing it and try out different times and classes, then Sunday, its game on.


What's the plan?
  • Sunday: Skill and Powerlifting
    • I am lucky enough to have a great friend (who was also my Freeze Fest partner) who is training for some of the same events.  When our Sundays match up, we will be doing random skill work AND "Girl WOD's".  Which if you are familiar with CrossFit you know are their own programmed work outs that typically test your entire being and make you hate life briefly.  He is perfect to work out and train with because he isn't afraid to tell me to get my shit together and stop being a baby - I need to be yelled at sometimes.
    • I am also lucky enough to have a coach who is also Powerlifting and has invited me to work with him (YAY)!  This was like a gift to me because as everyone knows, lifting alone can be dangerous.  I would rather not lift up heavy things solo (especially things that will crush me like bench pressing).  I like my life.
  • Monday: WOD Day
  • Tuesday: I will call this my "flex day"
    • Leaving this day open I can do whatever I want like have a social life maybe?
  • Wednesday: Powerlifting (I may sprinkle in skill too)
    • I am so happy for the change at my box, afternoons on Wednesdays will be open gym (SAY WHA?!).  I have not turned this into my other lifting day and have been given the blessing of work to shift hours to do so!  Getting up at 4:30 to work a full day will absolutely blow, but ya do whatcha gotta do!
  • Thursday: WOD Day
  • Friday: Rest Day (a.k.a. sit on my ass and eat ice cream day)
  • Saturday: Morning yoga.
    • Absolute, hands down, favorite day and time of day to do yoga.  Don't ask why, but I am obsessed.  Have been for years.
I know a couple of things for sure ... I am a planner, I need to have a schedule or I will go crazy (like I am right now actually); I need to understand this is all subject to change and there's room for adjustment and that's ok!
Having a routine is going to be key for both my sanity and success.

I feel really good about my plan and how things have been progressing this week.  There has been SO much that has changed that I didn't expect but it's all for the good.  It almost feels like things are finally falling into place (insert sappy music here).  

I mean ... 
The opening of an additional day (Wednesdays) and being granted a shift change at work.
Finding out there really are more people who want to work on skills and tackle Girl WODs just like I do.  It was all music to my ears.

And now, since I need to get up at the ass crack of dawn, its off to bed for this girl.

But before I go ... my favorite picture from the week.  Rowing, which I love.  
Another thing I love?  Seeing my work out faces, they're hilarious. 
This one is definitely a #painface





Comments

Popular Posts